I am the first to admit that I am NOT a fantasy reader. I struggle with the world building, I cannot stay focused, and it just plain tires me out. But this book? This book was the absolute best choice for a non fantasy reader and it definitely earned its 5 stars.
Here are 5 specific things I loved about the book:
1. The characters and all of their charm and quirks. While completely unrealistic in our world, these characters felt real to me. They were flawed, yes, but unique and lovable, and encouraged me to remember to see the good in each and every person I encounter.
2. We had one foot in the real world and one foot in this fantasy world Klune created. The characters had modern amenities we recognize (like internet access) but also had things in their world that we’ve never heard of (ahem, Extreme Upper Management).
3. The pacing of the story. It moves quickly, but it also has a slow burn romance.
4. The imagery! I could SEE that cerulean sea.
5. The humor – I love some dry humor, and I was cracking up at some of the wise cracks in this novel.
All of the stars, all of the love, and I cannot wait to read more from Klune.