I love reading love stories set in high school. As someone who fell in love with and married my high school sweetheart, it’s just very nostalgic for me to read about others doing the same. This book had all the fun of a high school romance with some heavier layers to peel back and experience.
I listened to this book on audio and really liked the experience of two narrators – one for the male lead, one for the female. The two main characters couldn’t be more different and the voice actors did a great job of making that come to life!
Here are 3 things I loved about this book:
- I loved that we had a representation of both a girl who grew up privileged and a boy who grew up with a rougher life. The contrast between the two lives was fascinating, sobering, and well fleshed out.
- I loved the mixture of the enemies to lovers and second chance romance. They knew each other in the past, then he came back into her life, she hated him, and then we got to witness them falling for one another.
- I loved how it felt a little bit like Gossip Girl, but make it Los Angeles. We got to see the secret lives of LA’s elite instead of Manahattan’s.
Here are 2 things I didn’t love about this book:
- It felt a little too long for what it was. I got a little bored in the middle because of that.
- I got a little frustrated with the main characters at times – I had to remind myself that yes, they were in high school, but they seemed quite a bit…frivolous.
Death of parent