First things first: I am not a huge thriller reader these days. I used to read them all the time, but got kinda burned out or something. But when this one showed up for free in the mail thanks to the publisher, I decided to give it a shot. Sadly, it fell flat for me.
Here’s what I DID like about the book:
1. The premise of it all was so fun – I loved the idea of an up and coming actress being trolled by someone!
2. The LA setting – I love feeling like I am surrounded by palm trees when I am reading, and this one nailed that.
Here’s where it was a miss for me:
1. The main character herself did not work for me. Her decisions were painful to read. Overall, I found her frustrating and whiny. But if this was what Steadman was trying to create, then that’s great – she nailed it.
2. The pacing – the buildup to everything was SLOW. I mean, for the longest time, we were on the SAME day. Our MC spent pages and pages pacing in and out of the same building and getting nothing done. I expect a thriller to be fast/page turning (regardless of if I’m enjoying it) and this one just didn’t do that for me. Some people may like a slow burn, but this story was slow as molasses.
3. The twist was not…twisty. It was just like, “Seriously?”
Overall, I felt like the idea of the book was good, but it was just poorly executed. ⭐️ ⭐️ from me.
Brief mention of car crash