To read the book synopsis, click the following links to The StoryGraph and Goodreads.
As a huge fan of Jenny Han (and several blurbs/blogs saying that this book was great for her readers), I was so excited to pick this one up! It made for such a great beach read with some LOL moments, some “aww” moments, and some tear jerking moments. A great book for me takes me on a full rollercoaster ride of emotions, and this one definitely had a lot of those components. Still, it was a 3.5 star read for me, and here’s why.
Things I liked about this book:
- The setting! The writing made me want to travel to Martha’s Vineyard, and any book that can make this homebody want to travel is definitely well written.
- WIT! What a great solid book boyfriend. He was sweet, charming, funny, and smart. I really enjoyed his character and felt like he was someone I could be friends with.
- The pacing! I loved how easily I flew through the book. This one had me flipping pages so quickly, super invested in the characters.
Things I didn’t love about this book:
- This is an unpopular opinion (after reading other reviews), but the Taylor Swift references were SO distracting to me. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t on every page or anything, but they were absolutely sprinkled without and I found it so bothersome. And I even like Taylor Swift. For a super fan, this may be a super appealing aspect of the book!
- It was a little too sugary sweet for me at some points. As someone who met and fell in love with my husband around these characters ages, I couldn’t help but think…”Teenagers DON’T talk like that.” So every now and then, I felt myself rolling my eyes a little bit.
This book was sweet and fun and definitely a fun YA read! I give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5
Content warnings: death of a sibling, grief, car accident, mild sexual content